ARE church front.jpg

The parapets are the short walls on the Sanctuary roofline to the right and left and above the central window. The same roof and parapet design is on the back, altar wall, of the building. Interior water damage is evident on every interior wall that corresponds to a parapet and in parts of the chapel building.  

Repair and restoration goals

Maintenance of our aging campus will require ongoing planned maintenance and ongoing capital fundraising to build Holy Trinity’s endowment. In 2022-23 we must address the most pressing issue: repairing the leaks in the sanctuary and restoring the nave. We need to fund a maintenance endowment so that future repairs can be funded with income from investments. With lead gifts of almost $900,000 in hand, the Vestry has launched the Second Century Campaign to raise $4 million to address these three issues:

1 Exterior Work: Using probes and meters to measure moisture, engineers found specific leaks and pinpointed areas for repair, including replacing coping stones and other damaged stone, repairing grout, repointing mortar joints, and replacing deteriorated wood blocking and damaged tongue and groove wood decking in addition to more roofing work. The job was bid to three companies and awarded to a firm that has done previous work at Holy Trinity and knows the buildings well. Work will begin in Fall 2022.

2  Endowment: The Second Century Campaign seeks to make a $1.2-$1.5 million investment in Holy Trinity’s endowment so that a percentage of earnings could supplement the operating budget and allow us to address maintenance issues as they arise. On a 100-year-old campus with buildings erected in the 1920s, 1940s and 1960s, there will be a need for ongoing maintenance and repairs. Trends show that younger parishioners give differently from their parents and grandparents, so building the endowment now  – through capital campaigns and planned giving – will ensure income to preserve the campus for generations to come.

1949 original floor plan.jpg

3  Interior work will be considered by a Restoration Committee appointed by the Vestry with the help of a nationally-recognized architect who is an expert on liturgical design and church planning. The goal is to restore the sanctuary to the design intended by the original architects and in accordance with current worship practices. Work inside will not begin until exterior work is complete and new moisture readings have been taken to ensure that leaks are fixed. Interior work could take place in summer 2023. If funding allows, the Restoration Committee will consider:

  • Restoring the altar wall. The architect will recommend the color and any decorative treatment on the wall behind the alter. 

  • Stone flooring. Original plans called for a stone floor in the sanctuary, which was eliminated when fundraising fell short. 1949 minutes show the Vestry considered vinyl tile but decided on carpet. A stone floor would enhance acoustics in the nave and last for many years. 

  • Moving the high altar. In 1949, priests celebrated the Eucharist with their backs to the congregation. Holy Trinity added the temporary wooden altar 27 years ago when it became practice to face the people. Moving our original altar out from the reredos (the wooden carving behind the altar) will restore it to its intended use as the Lord’s table.  

  • Moving the baptismal font. The baptistry, the vestibule to the left of the narthex, was used when baptisms were most often private. Original plans put the font in an alcove near the entrance and open to the nave. We now hold baptisms with the entire congregation present. The original stone font could be moved from the baptistry to the center aisle at the back of the nave, which is the traditional placement in Gothic churches. We would shorten two pews on either side to maintain aisle space and could move the carved wooden font to the chapel.    


 

chancel close.jpg
stenciling 2.jpg

Above is a photo of the original architectural plans that show the stenciling on the altar wall recommended by the architect.

At left, the original floor plan shows wide side aisles, interior columns, and a baptistry at the lower left that was open to the nave. When fundraising fell short, the building was narrowed, losing the wide side aisles and columns and the baptistry was moved to where an entry is shown in the lower left. 

A 1950s photograph, above, shows the stenciling that was done around the chancel arch.